My Friend’s Basis for His Beliefs
For over 20 years, my friend attended a Bible Study of 18 different denominations, a variety of Book Club study groups, and listened to diverse groups of Christian friends over cups of coffee, which led to the following conclusions about the Bible:
- The Bible is the “Word of God”
- Thousands of different “Christian Denominations” interpret the Bible differently, but each believes that their interpretation is the ONLY CORRECT interpretation.
- There are 7 Billion people on Earth, each with a different DNA Molecule, which makes each person distinctly different from each other.
- Most people have experienced vastly different influences as they grew up, also shaping the way they process information.
- As a result of their different genetic composition and environmental influences, each person processes information differently: The EXACT SAME MESSAGE said to a thousand people will be interpreted differently, meaning different things, to different people.
- That explains why the Bible means different things to different people.
- Humanity is like blind men trying to define an elephant:
- The 1st grabs the tail, and says, “An elephant is like a snake. “
- The 2nd hugs a leg, and says, “An elephant is like a tree.”
- The 3rd touches the side, and says, “An elephant is like a wall.”
- Humans have Finite minds.
- God’s wisdom is Infinite.
- It is impossible for the “Finite” to understand the “Infinite”.
- Again, by analogy, it’s like a gallon jug trying to contain the contents of a 55-gallon drum, only a trillion, trillion, trillion, etc. times more impossible.
- That may explain the genius of the Bible’s construction:
The Bible’s primary message is for each person to have a loving relationship with God, and each other, as God loves them.
- The 40 authors, over 1,600 years, wrote that same message in different ways, to be understood by ALL different people.
- ONE MESSAGE UNDERSTOOD BY 7 BILLION DIFFERENT PEOPLE.
- It’s God speaking in “Tongues” to His creation.
- God created everyone to experience His companionship of Peace & Joy, now & forever.
Thus, everyone may have a different interpretation of the Bible, and it’s O K, if the result is loving God, and each other, as God loves us.
Hence, my friend’s “Creed” will be different from someone else’s “Creed”, but it’s O K. if each person genuinely loves God with his/her whole mind, heart, and soul, and loves one another as God loves him/her.
It’s a shame that each religion limits God to their finite understanding of an Infinite God. That statement is an absurd oxymoron. Yet, wars were fought defending that absurdity.
It obviously takes
- the humility of a creature to the Creator,
- the gratitude of a sinner to his/her Savior,
- the surrender of the finite mind to infinite wisdom, and
- the trust that God is sovereign over all things
to allow for the diversity of beliefs, all sharing the common denominator of love of God, and each other.